Dark Room Work
As you can see the pin hole camera of my choice was a used Pringles can covered in duct rape. Unfortunately I included a lens and so all of the initial pictures I took didn't come out well at all. The original virgin Mary Idea was supposed to be taken using a camera obscura but I didn't have any success. I only managed to get an image of the trees behind her. My dark room turned out to be most useful of developing pictograms rather than actual photographs.
The idea of exploring the use of a camera obscure came about after I watched a documentary called 'Tim's Vermeer' where the question is posed whether or not Vermeer used optics to create his paintings. I found it intriguing to see how 17th century artist could have used these techniques to capture the image through a photographic lens. This allowed artist to see the way light worked which could otherwise not be seen without optical aid. The light and colour of the image is more rich and saturated than it would be if you were to look at it with your own eyes. I believe this is because of your iris changing the size of your pupil to restrict the amount of light hitting the retina. If the light is too intense, like looking at the sky, your pupil with become smaller and so will let in less light. I am not sure whether this causes brighter colours to be muted or if there is a more technical reason for it. Nonetheless, it is interesting to see how our eyes can lie to us and alter the way we see things in the real world.
Invisible (Film: my too many hours to count piece)
For this visual effects shot I used two techniques: 3D modelling and camera tracking. Initially I used a technique known as rotoscoping to cut out the eyes of the subject. However this didn't look convincing enough to look as if his eyes had been sucked out. With this in mind I looked to other methods, initially trying to draw onto the image in photoshop, but this again didn't look convincing. This is when I remembered I had a softwares called Sculptris and Blender in which I could make 3D models. Once I made the 3D model I exported it as a jpeg and tracked a modified version of it onto the subjects face.
When editing the most important thing other than getting the timing right is to keep your editor tidy. For me this involves sorting out each take into its shot which was noted on the slate before taking ever shot. The same process was done for the audio as the audio was recorded externally using a boom mic. If the editor gets too cluttered Hitfilm will slow down considerably and so getting the correct timing will become impossible.
I wrote the entire soundtrack using GarageBand and its built in instruments. I used mainly synthesisers but also the orchestral string instruments to create a drone for the soundtrack.
Dada (New 5 hr Piece)
Other than dressing the subjects (me and my sister) the room also had to look the part. This involved dressing the table and removing any non period items. This left me with a fairly empty room and so I placed music sheets on the table to convey the musicality of the subjects, a jug of alcohol and some fruit in a bowl. As a finishing touch I placed red velvet blanket onto the table and finished off by scattering candles around the room to help brighten up the room.
The piece is still predominantly about lighting and how it can be used to manipulate the viewer. Therefore to convey the feeling that this is mimicking a Vermeer painting it needed to have a window somewhere in the scene. This initially helped illuminate the scene but the candles helped fill in some shadows and add a warmth the the scene. The Candles turned out to be integral for the latter scene where it becomes night. This followed a style more similar to that used in 'Barry Lyndon' (Low light scene only lit by candles).